CINNABAR ARTS CORPORATION
Job Title: Technical Director
Reports to: Artistic Director & Executive Director
This position is accountable for building the scenic design and set for all productions and ensuring the technical equipment in the theater is functional, maintained, and safe.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Leads theatrical production assembly and disassembly in areas such as: scenic elements, moving assembly, carpentry, and lighting. Ensures theater is safe, clean, and ready for the next theater production.
• Develops and maintains an effective working relationship with the production team.
• Hires, leads, coordinates and schedules the production crews comprised of volunteers and contractors, ensuring projects are completed as defined.
• Works with Executive Director and Artistic Director to establish and maintain budgets for each of the productions.
• Ensures set designs are built based on design and working drawings.
• Defines project plans and requirements for each production set and scenic design including defining pre-build schedules and materials requirements. Assists the Production Manager prepare budget estimates for scenic and set elements as required.
• Research requirements for theater productions, conducts searches for sources of required materials, and acquires materials.
• Maintains equipment including extensive inventory of stock materials. Knows what Cinnabar stock materials are available and how best to use stock for theater productions.
• Maintains a safe working environment and trains crews in safety procedures and equipment use.
• Ensures a safe, secure, clean, organized office, shop, and workspaces including periodically taking garbage to the county disposal site.
• Ensures the Executive Director is apprised of and approves of any contracts or required services.
• Attends all production meetings, technical rehearsals, and other rehearsals as needed.
• Abides by Cinnabar’s policies and guidelines and ensures there are no conflicts of interest.
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• Demonstrates knowledge of in-house theater construction.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills, including contractors, volunteers, service providers, team members, and the public.
• Project management skills, including developing project timelines, defining material and labor requirements and other related items to ensure set designs are completed as specified, within time and cost parameters.
• Ability to analyze complex issues and demonstrate creative problem-solving skills and solutions.
• Ability to read and interpret architectural drawings; knowledge of Sketch Up is preferred.
• Excellent follow-up skills and detail orientation.
• Demonstrates leadership and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work independently and in collaboration with others.
• Ability to work under pressure on many projects and work with people of varying experience levels.
• Highly organized and able to meet established goals and deadlines.
• Proficient with power tools; knows the application, use and safety requirements and methods.
• Knowledge of basic electrical use and carpentry.
• Demonstrates a “can do” approach and possesses high level of initiative and follow through.
• Commitment to excellence and high standards, including integrity and ethics.
• Computer literacy and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Power Point, Google Calendar, and Q Lab applications. Knowledge of Sketch Up is preferred.
• Adheres to Cinnabar’s policies and guidelines.
• Available to respond to unexpected weekend requests such as issues with set design and lighting.
• Possession of a valid California Driver’s License.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Completion of High School or GED. Degree in theater construction or comparable is highly desirable.
• A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in theater construction including experience with sound, lighting, and stage equipment, and should also be knowledgeable of maintenance, safety, and stage carpentry.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
• The work environment varies and includes office environment, theater, studio, and storage facilities that do not have temperature control and may be dusty.
• Ability to lift up to 60 pounds. Able to carry heavy items while navigating stairs.
• Ability to climb 12-foot ladders and to work safely at elevated heights. Must employ required safety practices.
• Able to hear, see, sit, stand, walk, climb, and use hands and fingers with frequent repetition.
• Ability to work overtime and flexible hours, including weekends.